Saturday, May 29, 2010

Antagonyms

Yes Antagonyms!


I love words. I love to read them and write them.
I read voraciously.
If I happen to run out of books to read, I am near to panic. I read any time that I can but my favourite place to read is down by the waters edge.
It's peaceful there with the water lapping against the rocks. I spread a blanket on the grass and I travel to distant places and into the lives of the characters in the book that I happen to be reading.
There is nothing like it.

Antagonyms happen to be my favourite type of words.

Describes a single word that has meanings that contradict each other.
Some examples are:

Anxious: Full of mental distress because of apprehension of danger or misfortune [in effect, seeking to avoid] (We were anxious about the nearby gunshots.) vs. Eager or looking forward to (Until you returned, I was anxious to see you.)

Cleave: To adhere tightly vs. To cut apart

Fast: Moving rapidly vs. Unable to move ("I was held fast to my bed.")

Ah the wonder that is the English language.
Okay I am done nerding out for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?

Widget

Widget

Widget